Essential oils have been used for hundreds of years around the world and have gained recent popularity with research highlighting the array of health benefits that these potent liquids possess.
The power of essential oils is best seen in the practice of aromatherapy, a non-invasive healing modality that has shown to have therapeutic effects on various regions in the body. Aside from the alluring smell that they provide, studies have shown that aromatherapy can be useful to support symptoms of anxiety, depression, breathing difficulties and more.
Essential oils for Sleep
Essential oils are often overlooked as a remedy for sleep, however, the relaxing qualities of herbs such as lavender, roman chamomile and Manuka have long been touted for their ability to calm the nervous system. Our sense of smell is directly linked to the limbic and amygdala regions in the brain, which are the regions responsible for regulating our memories, emotions, and fear.
Creating an evening ritual that utilises essential oils is an effective and convenient tool that is easily accessible.
Here are some easy ways to harness the power of essential oils:
- Diluting essential oils with an air diffuser
- Massaging a few drops onto a specific part of the body, such as the forehead, neck, chest, wrist, hands, or toes
- Rubbing a few drops into your hands and taking a few deep breaths
- Mixing the oil with Epsom salt or baking soda to add to a hot bath while you’re filling the tub
- Creating a spray to spritz into the air or on your pillow
- Adding a few drops to a pot of boiling water, and then sitting with your face over the pot and a towel over your head to create a tent effect (this is known as facial steaming and can provide relief for sleep apnea or nasal congestion)
One important thing to remember is that all essential oils are not the same. The varying degree in the quality of essential oils is vast, so it’s key to purchase oils that are advertised as “pure” or “100%” essential oils. Products that say “perfume” or “fragrance” often contain synthetic ingredients, so while they may smell nice, they won’t provide you with the same health benefits and may even cause sleep disruption as the body recognises these ingredients as toxic!
SleepDrops have created a 100% natural aromatherapy spray; Divine Sleep Aromatherapy Spray, which contains organic essential oils such as Manuka and Roman Chamomile. Click here to see!